Saturday, June 28, 2008

Garden break

Here are some recent garden shots. Now that we're home, we can see a big difference in the growth from week to week!


My pink astilbes have finally bloomed, and they are beautiful. Unfortunately, there was a group of these in complete shade where the plumes just died instead of blooming, But these are nice. There are two different varieties of pink. This is the lighter version, and it is so pretty - it's cotton candy pink.



And this is the more deeply-colored pink, and it's nice, too.



The hydrangea is showing its first blooms of the season, and the colors are mixed. I fertilized on either side of the bush and not in a ring, so as to produce two colors of bloom. So here, you see the purple...



...and here, you see the pink.



My heirloom Cherokee Purple tomato plant has grown to about 4 feet. When I bought it four weeks ago, it was only about 10 inches tall.



On the right is a cherry tomato I grew from seed. It's up to a little more than 6 feet. On the left is a Brandywine plant I picked up from the garden center a few weeks back.



This is a Brandy Boy tomato plant I grew from seed.



Here are two Mortgage Lifter plants I grew from seed. They're called that because the guy who developed them sold them at a roadside stand and used the extra cash to pay down his mortgage.

I've only shown you six of the ten plants I have going. I went a little nuts this year on tomatoes since I only got one large tomato off four plants last year. The cherry tomatoes produced well, but cherry tomatoes are only so useful...they certainly don't make a great BLT or tomato & mozzarella salad.



The grapes are getting bigger on the grapevines...



...and lovely pink lilies are in bloom.

Tiger lilies are in bloom also, but I didn't shoot those.

3 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, June 28, 2008, Blogger A DC said...

I like the astilbes. Very pretty. What kind of grapes are those?

I grew an heirloom tomato plant last year (forgot the name) and I only got one tomato from it before the plant got tomato blight.

 
At 4:50 PM, June 28, 2008, Blogger Marc said...

ATG: Yep, blight is what got my tomatoes last year as well. One tomato, and then...pffft.

 
At 2:41 PM, July 01, 2008, Blogger Greg said...

So sorry to hear about your shady astilbes! Hope they recover and do better in the future!

What a nice array of tomatoes! I must admit, I'm more gardener than farmer...but I'll try anything that grows! My tomatoes are all hidden in the flower border, though!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home