Saturday, November 11, 2006

New beginning

A little over two years ago, when I started this blog, my first post was a rant about my job. It was (is) a suck-ass, underpaid, overworked, under-appreciated position. Even as a VP, no respect. Nothing has changed since then - the job is even shittier than it was, with only more things being piled on than before. Two of my experienced workers left since that first post was made, and so their replacements are not nearly as experienced, and as a result, the situation is quite a bit worse than two years ago. (No, no one at work knows about my blog.) And for the past three years, I have been asking for additional help, only to be told that I don't need it or can't have it. In twenty-two years of working this exact type of job, I have never been so abused by an employer. I am damned good at what I do. They should treat me better.

But this is a happy post. The old place is going to find out how much I'm really worth. I am starting a new job next month, in a whole new marketing arena. I'm thrilled to be getting out of financial services and into something else, because it will make me a lot more marketable having more than just one style of experience. I've already been told by a lot of people at the old job that they feel that this is going to be a blow to the place like they haven't imagined, and I think they are right. I think that, not because I am an arrogant ass, but because they simply have no idea of the volume of work I handle and the speed at which I handle all that work. But they will find out, yes they will.

Quite coincidentally, I found out that my salary was slated to increase by $27K in 2007 because they finally did a survey study that was gauged specifically to New York, not the northeast in general, and the study revealed just how underpaid I was. (Duh. I should have left years ago.) And no, if you're wondering, I won't be getting that kind of money at the new job; but I will be a LOT happier.

I find I am fascinated with myself for how long I actually put up with the current place. I never really felt truly comfortable there, never felt truly relaxed with my boss, yet I stayed at this job longer than any place I've ever worked. And I have to ask myself, "why is that?"

I know why, actually. I have a great man at home who helps me get through the tough times, takes me on fabulous vacations, and provides great distractions for me most every weekend. I love you, honey.

3 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, November 11, 2006, Blogger Jess said...

Honey, I love you so much!

I'm glad you're not letting the money sway you (not that the new job won't pay well enough). First, I wouldn't put it past your current boss to say he can't afford to meet the salary survey. More importantly, your sanity means a lot more than any amount of money! So I just hope the new job is great!

 
At 9:48 PM, November 12, 2006, Blogger Will said...

Congratulations, Marc--the job satisfaction will almost certainly outweigh any financial difference between the two jobs, assuming your salary rewally would have been increased at the old job.

Here's to new beginnings!

 
At 10:44 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Tuna Girl said...

Aw, that was sweet. ;-) But more importantly, I'm glad you're moving on. The way you describe your current job sounds exactly like every job I've ever had. Which is why I don't work at all anymore.

Best of luck. I'm SURE you will be missed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home