Sunday, October 26, 2008

In a pickle

Okay, so I'm working on an idea. It calls for pickled ginger, and so I wondered how much better and fresher it would taste if I pickled the ginger myself rather than buying it from the Asian supermarket.

It's quite easy to pickle ginger; you just need a mandoline to slice the ginger into paper-thin slices. Slice it up, salt it and let it set for half an hour or so, then drop it into a sterilized jar and cover in a boiling bath of rice vinegar mixed with sugar and let it set until cooled before covering and refrigerating. So as I was finishing up, I was directed by Jess that I needed to review the recipe because there was another instruction after cooling the ginger.

Here was the instruction that followed:
Taste piece of ginger and wretch uncontrollably. Try not to vomit from hideous flavor of ginger.

Did I mention that Jess hates ginger? He also doesn't like vinegar much, either. I'd say he wrote that last instruction in. He'd tell you that's a dirty lie.

3 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, October 26, 2008, Blogger Jess said...

That's a dirty lie!

:)

Actually, I think I saw Dodger at your computer before I noticed that entry. Think of what he'll eat, and even he hates ginger! ;)

 
At 6:51 PM, October 27, 2008, Blogger A DC said...

LOL! That's awesome! You guys are so frickin' cute! :)

 
At 8:48 PM, October 27, 2008, Blogger Michelle Ann said...

LOL!!! That is hilarious! I hate that pickled ginger stuff too...but I love ginger otherwise.

You two crack me up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home