Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Gotta love the Internet!

Jess and I were out shopping for a transformer for one of the kitchen light fixtures that had blown (yeah - dontcha love that? It lasted all of 5 months) at the local electric supply store. (By the way, "local electric supply store" should be interpreted "a$$-fu¢kers", and not in a good way.) At any rate, after we were turned over a barrel and given a hard screwing on the price of the transformer ($25), we happened to see a doorbell up front that we liked. We had searched high and low for doorbells and never found one we really liked. This one was beautiful, real wood, hard-wired (they are now making them wireless, and they sound like cheap crap) and just what we wanted. And it was $275. I was floored. But I wasn't about to take it up the poop chute with these idiots twice in a day, and neither was Jess. We left disgusted.

Later, at home, I went online and looked up the doorbell. Store 1 had it for $175. Much more reasonable than our local retailer! But I wasn't finished. I wanted it for even less. Shopping a little further, I found 1-800-Doorbell, a/k/a Lord Henry Enterprises, and they had it as a closeout for $75 because they were discontinuing Broan and NuTone bells.

So basically, I saved $200 just by doing 10 minutes worth of research on the Internet. And I got to screw over the local electric supply store! Woo-hoo!

By the way, I found the transformer that I bought at the store online for $15 - and $5 shipping - and I don't have to 1) drive for 20 minutes and 2) wait for a Saturday because it's the only day they're open that I can go there because they keep ridiculous 9-5 hours during the week. So when the other transformers blow, I'll be buying them online.

And by the way, I'm feeling so butch. I installed the doorbell myself and it works beautifully.

1 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Jess said...

It sure does work beautifully. Great work, Bokey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home