Sunday, June 26, 2005

I should do this for a living. Nah...

On the way home today, I decided that it was time to fill the ruby-red glass vase that I got three Christmases ago from a co-worker. I've always like the vase, and it was just screaming for some calla lilies...but I just had never gotten around to doing the arrangement. But Michael's was having a sale on silks this week and I decided it was time. Besides, now that we're in the new house, we need to have a few nice floral arrangements around.

Anyway, I started with the callas and some eucalyptus. But more color was needed. And this was going in the sunroom, so it needed to be cheerful and bright. Callas tend to be elegant and dressy, not good by themselves for a casual arrangement. I had also thought about some sunflowers, but they were a little too casual for the ruby vase. So I decided to go down with the callas and dress them down. A spring of lavender gladiolus. A couple of burgundy lilacs. And for an infusion of sunny color, some little yellow flowers. Michael's label said they were "baby's breath." Uh, right. They weren't but they looked nice. Finally, some ivy to fill out the vase.

While I was there, I was looking around at some of the pre-made arrangements. Most of them were yawners. The cheapest ones, which were very stark, were $49.99. The ones that were the size I was interested in making were $109.99 and up. $109.99?!

So I picked out all my flowers and acoutriments and went to the register. $35.76. A lot better than $109.99, and mine turned out better than the ones in the store!

Anyway, as I was putting the arrangement together, I was thinking, "is there anything gayer than this?" And thinking about a young gay friend of ours who tells us he doesn't think of us as his dads, but thinks of us like a couple of gay uncles. And thinking, man, I feel very old and very gay.

4 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Jess said...

Not to worry, Bokey. I can keep you feeling young. Lots and lots of sex is the key. If we go at it like bunnies, you'll feel nice and young! ;)

 
At 8:51 AM, June 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah the aging queen. Well honey welcome to the club. I'll be adding another notch this year to the old walker. Loss of memory, arthritis and uncontrolable flatulence is next. But you do make some purdy flowers.
k

 
At 6:15 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Marc said...

Honey, the flowers don't compare to the Raku that you do! (There's a song in there somewhere.) I am hardly worthy! As for the uncontrollable flatulence, well, that's already here and so is the arthritis!

xoxoxo

 
At 6:36 PM, July 07, 2005, Blogger Crash said...

I think you still qualify as young until the day that you start calling your friends Mary, saying "Get her" and incessently quoting The Golden Girls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home