Thursday, March 31, 2005

Damn those catchy female ditties

You know what I hate? Well, maybe hate is too strong a word, but still...

I hate those catchy little songs that are all about girls and how great it is to be one; not that I would want to be a girl, but you just can't help singing the little songs to yourself: the infectious tunes and kicky lyrics are like a bad virus you just can't get rid of. To wit:

When I have a brand new hairdo/With my eyelashes all in curl/I float as the clouds on air do/I enjoy being a girl!

And of course, when you have a visual of Sarah Jessica Parker skipping around and singing it, it's just too catchy...and kitschy...to resist. I think Jess hates the commercial because it's Sarah Jessica...but I just love it. Gap is so clever.

I'm sure you no doubt are familiar with the car commercial where five guys are sitting in the car squirming because one of them is singing to the song on the radio Man, I Feel Like a Woman, which is an equally infectious little female ditty with a plucky video of Shania Twain to go with it.

What I hate is that these little tunes get into my head and I am practically skipping around at work singing them. Now, I am out at work and admittedly, you would not find my picture anywhere near "butch" in the dictionary, but this is ridiculous.

And just to leave the tune with you, now...
The best thing about bein' a woman...is the prerogative to have a little fun/Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy-forget I'm a lady/
Men's shirts-short skirts/Oh, oh, oh, really go wild-yeah, doin' it in style/Oh, oh, oh, get in the action-feel the attraction/
Color my hair-do what I dare/Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free-yeah, to feel the way I feel/Man! I feel like a woman!


I know. I'm such a bitch. Maybe I am a girl after all.

4 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, March 31, 2005, Blogger Tuna Girl said...

Oh yeah! Well...

Take this pink ribbon off my eyes, I'm exposed, and it's no big surprise
Don't you think I know, exactly where I stand, this world is forcing me, to hold your hand
'Cause I'm just a girl, little 'ol me
Don't let me out of your sight
I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
So don't let me have any rights


If you're going to sing girly songs, at least have them be from this century. ;-)

 
At 7:30 PM, April 08, 2005, Blogger Jack said...

Every time I hear that Shania song I wonder... If she means... She wants a woman... I guess that's just the way I think... if your as perverted as I am... you think of these things... :)

 
At 9:38 AM, April 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, ha! If you sing along you look like a big girl, but you just can't help it. I totally get it! I sometimes sing along to "You make me feel like a natural woman".

 
At 1:35 PM, May 04, 2005, Blogger MzOuiser said...

I now have an irresistable urge to put my hair in pigtails. Yeeesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home