Sunday, January 28, 2007

More weekend

So today was the last day of Jeff's stay for the weekend; I wanted to do something good for brunch, so I made a quiche - always great when you want good, warm food that doesn't require a lot of work - though it does require some time.

At any rate, I made it with smoked salmon, dill, chives, and sautéed leeks, and it turned out very nicely. The salmon wasn't overpowering, just a hint of it there, and the dill, chives, and leeks gave it a nice blend of flavors.

Early this afternoon, we caught the matinée of Dreamgirls, which I was very surprised by. I wasn't prepared to like it as much as I did. I loved the Broadway show, and of course I felt that the movie version wouldn't live up to the Broadway version. In many ways, it didn't. But in other ways, it exceeded it. Jennifer Hudson was terrific, as I knew she would be. While I still like some numbers from the original better, I will say that I was stunned by Beyoncé's new number, "I'm Somebody"; it was a great addition. Just as with the Broadway show, Beyoncé's talent doesn't approach Jennifer Hudson's, but I was impressed with that number. I still hold that Jennifer Hudson should have been submitted for Best Actress in the Globes and in the Academy Awards, because she really was not a #2 player in the film. However, had she had to go up against Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep, I don't know that she would win. At least she already has a Golden Globe. America, eat your heart out for what you did to her on American Idol. The girl has more talent than the winner that year, Fantasia Barrino, and it looks as though she will make a lot more of herself now than Fantasia will...and good for her.

Tonight, I'll be making smoked whitefish salad and some chopped liver for dinner. A strange menu selection for the day, yes. But I am in the mood for strong flavors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home