Thursday, December 07, 2006

Not my idea of a vacation...

Yesterday was the first real day of our visit to Atlanta. I was planning to spend some quality time with my mom and get some much-needed down-time in between the old job, which ended Tuesday, and the new one, which begins Monday.

So yesterday, at lunch, as we prepared to clear lunch dishes from the table, my mother got her foot caught at the leg of her chair. The dining room chairs are rather lightweight and ill-balanced, and so the chair toppled one direction and sent my mother head-first into a cabinet in the other direction.

She wound up with a bad bump on the head, a twisted back (she already had some back problems, so this is not good), a bruised tailbone, and a broken leg near the hip.

Needless to say, we spent hours in the emergency room yesterday and then in a hospital room.

Today, she is scheduled to have surgery to place screws into the broken leg because it is so near the hip and carries so much of her weight. I am worried about the surgery. I worry about her ever returning to the same degree of mobility that she had. I am concerned about her extreme sensitivity to anesthesia and most medications. She is so active for her age, and I worry that this is really going to slow her down a lot, and make her depressed. I worry about the fact that, having just started a new job, I have no sick time accumulated like the 70 days I had at the other job, so I don't have the luxury of being able to take time off to be with her. It's just a lot to cope with.

At any rate, probably no more blogging this weekend, save for a progress report on today. Please keep my mom (and Jess and me) in your thoughts.

2 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, December 07, 2006, Blogger CoffeeDog said...

Aw.....sending hugs. I'd be worrying about the same things if it were my mom.

 
At 7:10 PM, December 07, 2006, Blogger PatCH said...

*hug* *hug* *hug*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home