Monday, June 30, 2008

How are you liking Powerscourt Gardens?

I hope you're really liking it, because you're going to see more of it today!


Pretty in pink.



The bees seemed to think these centaurea were candy.



Charming columbine.



This shot is another favorite. I loved the pairing of these colors! But I am a pushover for alstromeria (those are the freckled ones), I must admit.



Loved this too, but didn't know what it was. Just a beautiful deep black-purple center!


And now, we move into the rose garden. Some of the most amazing varieties of roses I have ever seen, and with scents so varied and heady...it was just terribly exciting.


This dazzler was one of the first to greet me.



I loved these yellow roses. The scent had hints of citrus, just incredible. And the color! It was practically fluorescent.



I loved them so much, I had to take another shot...



The beauty just didn't stop. Come hither, you beautiful thing.



I assure you that I have not messed with the color of this picture. The rose was white and the foliage was such a dark shade that it almost appeared to be black.



Like buttah, the creamy color of this beauty.



The flaming orange color of this one drew me in...



...but alas, our run for the roses was over, and it ended with this one.



And as we walked back to the mansion, the back door was beautifully done with roses as well. Click to enlarge and enjoy this more.

* * *

When we finished our tour, we went into the little cafe to pick something deadly for dessert. It was a chocolate cake-type thing covered with a layer of baked meringue, topped with a white chocolate mousse and drizzled with caramel. Sorry I didn't take a picture of it, because the taste was as luscious as the look of it.

7 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, July 01, 2008, Blogger Michelle Ann said...

How beautiful!!! Did you take those pictures???

 
At 2:26 PM, July 01, 2008, Blogger Greg said...

Bokey, I think that blue flower is a perennial bachelor button! I had one of those a couple of years ago, but sadly, it was over-run by some oregano and didn't stay long. Beauty, though!

And the roses, oh, if only we could smell them through your pictures--they sound divinely fragranced. Lucky for us, they are lovely just to behold, as well!

 
At 2:33 PM, July 01, 2008, Blogger Greg said...

Do you have any different-angled shots of that white flower with the black center?? I'm wondering if its some kind of double poppy or something like that...

 
At 9:29 PM, July 01, 2008, Blogger Marc said...

michelle ann: yes, i admit it. i took the pictures...with a small canon sd550 that i actually understand how to use.

greg: thanks for the i.d.! no, i only took the one shot of the white flower. we were actually moving pretty quickly through there and i didn't get more than one shot of a lot of things. i got very lucky on most of them.

 
At 10:09 PM, July 01, 2008, Blogger A DC said...

i think the blue one is either a bachelor's button or a cornflower.

 
At 10:46 AM, July 02, 2008, Blogger Matt said...

Great pics, Marc! :)

 
At 10:04 AM, July 06, 2008, Blogger Marc said...

Matt: Thanks! ((hugs))

ATG: I stumbled on the blue one here a few days ago at a favorite nursery. It's called centaurea.

Greg: yeah, I had some oregano once...once. I tore it all out when it took over the entire back end of my garden at the old house. I didn't know at the time I planted it that it was a member of the mint family, else I would have never planted it in the ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home