Tuesday, November 30, 2004

And now for something completely different...

Okay, this is a different post than usual, but perhaps you'll like it anyway. I am a cook by nature, and sometimes I stumble upon a creation that surprises even me. Tonight, Jess bought a couple of pieces of salmon for me to cook, and so I, not being particularly crazy about salmon (it's okay, but it's not my favorite fish) embarked upon a cooking experiment to fix it in such a way that both of us would like.

I started by heating up a few tablespoons of olive oil on my cast-iron grill. I seasoned the fillet with a seasoning blend from Penzey's Spices called Fox Point, then I dropped it onto the grill, seasoned-side down.

Meanwhile, I sliced a couple of large leeks (white to very light green sections only), melted 3 tablespoons of salted butter in a large saucepan and sauteéd the leeks on medium low heat for about 10 minutes (don't let them brown - just let them get clear and soft) while the salmon cooked. I turned the salmon after it formed a crispy crust on the seasoned side and just before it had turned opaque about halfway up.

To the leeks and butter, I added about a cup and a half of heavy cream and turned the heat up to medium. I let the cream come to a boil and cooked it down until it had thickened. Then I added about 3/4 teaspoon of Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard and stirred it in, adding just a miniscule amount of salt.

When the salmon was finished (not quite opaque in the center), I dressed it with the sauce. It was amazing. It was low-carb. And I had made it up out of my head. It would be really amazing with some peas and pearl onions, but I didn't fix that tonight. Nevertheless, Jess loved it, I loved it, and I have a new favorite way to cook salmon.

2 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, November 30, 2004, Blogger Jess said...

It really was terrific. You're a wonderful chef, but I knew that already. Thanks, sweetie!

 
At 7:10 PM, December 08, 2004, Blogger Marc said...

Pony: Hey, I visited Seattle and Portland this summer and I had salmon there; the best salmon I've ever had. So good, in fact, that almost every night I ordered salmon somewhere. The hotel in Seattle (Sorrento) served wild Copper River salmon that was cooked on a plank and it was positively incredible. And Jake's Seafood in Portland served a fine piece of salmon too. So yes, I understand salmon from the Northwest, and I know that anything I buy here ain't gonna match that. Well, that is, unless I want to pay $28.00/lb for Copper River salmon that has been frozen, and I don't, so I have to stick with what I can get here.

Don't like peas, eh?

As for what I learned this weekend...don't worry, it was all very complimentary! Toddy described your physique pretty well, because of course, we had to ask, "why does he call himself 'pony'?" But he didn't give away too much else, save for the fact after being with you, he's a size queen! Now that I've seen the pictures, I know why! But why 'ugly'? I didn't think that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home