Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Sorry 'bout that

Okay, so I haven't blogged for a couple of weeks. I've been swamped at work, so I've been getting home late and have little time for keeping up the writing. But fortunately, I've finished a big project that will allow me to have a few days of normalcy, and so I am back to blogging.

The new house is starting to take shape! The demolition phase is nearly completed and in many areas, framing and reconstruction has begun. I could show you pictures, but they really wouldn't be that interesting, since you don't know what it's supposed to look like when it's finished. Plumbing is starting to go in next week and electrical will start shortly after that. Appliances are starting to arrive -the microwave arrived today and I have to unwrap it to make sure it works properly. It was weird to buy it from Amazon.com, but you know what? Free shipping and a price that was $50 cheaper than the contractor could get it for was enough for me. Lighting fixtures have been purchased. Some are here, some are on order. I can't wait to see them installed.

In the process of tearing out the ceiling in the master bedroom, the contractor found that the old ceiling joists were far out of alignment, and he suspected as much before he started the demolition. So he had to take out the ceiling joists and was about to put in a new flat ceiling when he had an epiphany - the ceiling could be vaulted and make the bedroom look far bigger. And so he did it. It's going to look great.

Of course, there have been some forfeitures along the way, some disappointments. For instance, the central air conditioning air handler wouldn't fit in the attic as planned, so it has to go into the linen closet. In our bedroom. That's a bit annoying. 1) No linen closet means we have to find other spots to put the linens, and 2) we don't know how noisy this air handler is, but we're a little worried that being just behind a closet door that's about six feet from the bed could be a sleep interruptor.

At any rate, today, there was major work in the kitchen, where the contractor came up with a way to create the open pass-thru wall from the kitchen to the front room that I really wanted. It's going to be terrific. I can't wait. More to come. Maybe even some before and during pictures.

3 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, November 08, 2004, Blogger Jess said...

I can't wait to see how this comes out. I'm so excited for you guys!

:)

 
At 10:17 AM, November 10, 2004, Blogger Michael Vernon said...

You have been missed!!!!

 
At 11:51 AM, November 11, 2004, Blogger PatCH said...

I was wond'ring where you had disappeared to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home