Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas & Happy Chanukah

Today was a busy one. I had decided earlier in the week that I was going to make a nice meal, and as usual, I couldn't help myself. What was going to be just a brisket and some vegetables turned into a full-fledged holiday feast, which was a little ridiculous. Actually, it was two holidays...with a meal to match.

I made a brisket, cooked with potatoes, carrots, green beans, and onions, with mushroom-onion gravy. That was the Chanukah meal in honor of my mother-in-law, who made the world's best brisket at the holidays. She told me her recipe year ago, and it has been my favorite brisket since the first time I had it. Mine turned out wonderfully, though my memory says Mom's tasted better. I miss her.

But I didn't stop with the brisket. It was Christmas, too, after all, and I had picked up some squash yesterday, so I made a squash casserole from my friend Jeff's recipe. It was amazing.

I wanted Aaron to taste sweet potatoes the way my grandmother used to make them, and since they are typically a Christmas thing for me, I made those, too. Delightful.

Oy. It was a big meal. And every bite was delicious.

Oh, and then there was the capper...I made eggnog last night and so we had a glass of that after the meal. Yes, made it. I don't like the junk you buy in the store, with all those artificial flavors, thickening agents, and disgusting amounts of nutmeg. I prefer making it myself so that I can control the flavors and the body. It takes a dozen eggs to make 1/2 gallon of the stuff, and it's time-consuming to make. And it disappears a lot faster that it can be made. I'm going to make it again next weekend when Matt and John (and possibly Jeff and Steve) are out for New Year's. I should probably make a double batch. It's really killer with a shot of Ronrico Gold. Jess, Aaron, and I went though a half-gallon in just a day! Yes, it's that good.

So to all of you, I hope your holiday (whichever you celebrate) was wonderful and peaceful.

Merry Christmas. Happy Chanukah. Peace on Earth. L'Chaim.





1 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, December 31, 2005, Blogger Jase said...

You are one of the best cooks ever! I LOVE those chocolate chocolate chip cookies.. omg... :P

Hope to have some more soon! Happy New Queer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home