Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Idol: Judges on drugs

Tonight's Idol was downright ridiculous. For most of the show, the judges needed hearing aids.

Haley Scarnato's lethargic performance of Tell Him was overrated by the judges. "Your best performance to date," said Simon, who is usually right on the money. Are you kidding?! My very favorite version of this song is covered by Linda Ronstadt. She kicked ass with this song on Mad Love. Haley's version didn't even begin to approach Linda's...or the original by Billie Davis.

Chris Richardson's version of Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cryin' was lame, but wow, the judges liked it.

Stephanie's You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, was fair, but the judges thought it was pretty good.

Blake did a fair performance of his tune, which the judges all raved about. Again, it was okay...not great...just okay. I've heard better karaoke.

But then they trashed LaKisha, whose Diamonds are Forever was actually quite good. Not Shirley Bassey-fabulous, but better than any of the others who sang before her. And I loved the million dollars' worth of Harry Winston she was wearing.

Phil Stacey's Tobacco Road number was good, but the judges didn't really like it. I don't like Phil, but he didn't deserve what they handed him.

Jordin's I Who Have Nothing (they were on a Shirley Bassey run tonight) was also very good. I was pleased with this performance; I thought it was her best ever. Randy and Paula liked it, Simon wasn't crazy about it. It wasn't Shirley Bassey, but... Yeah, I know that a lot of people covered this besides Shirley, and Tom Jones was the first to record it, if I'm not mistaken; but Shirley's version is the best.

Sanjaya...omg! What the hell?! He finally pulled it out. His performance of You Really Got Me was actually his best performance since his audition, and was surprisingly guttural, earthy, and likable. And I do not like Sanjaya. Even his hair looked good-and-not-girlish tonight.

Gina looked great tonight, but her bobbed hair makes her face look pudgy. She should let it grow longer. Too bad she didn't sound as good as she looked with Paint it Black; c'mon...it's a trademark Jagger vocal...I wasn't crazy about it. The original just oozes with evil...her version didn't do it for me. I think this was about the only number I agreed with the judges on. They didn't like it, either.

I couldn't stand Chris Sligh's version of She's Not There. I thought it was awful. But the judges thought it was good, that it was "the right song for him." I'd hate to hear the wrong song for him.

Melinda was, as usual, stunning. Now I don't like the song she chose, but I thought it was a solid performance. Fortunately, the judges agreed with me. Melinda wins again tonight, with LaKisha in second, and Jordin in third.


UPDATE: I am surprised and annoyed that Stephanie wound up being offed tonight. People are ridiculous. The girl has been far better than Sanjaya, Hayley, and Jordin every week except this one and she's the loser?! But Chris' departure is imminent. Last night's performance was a loser in spite of the judges' opinions.

5 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, March 21, 2007, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

For me, it was Melinda, Jordin and Blake. I thought lakisha's rendition was lacking energy as if she felt she didn't have to try.
You saw exactly why Sanjaya is still there. Every little teenybopper in the world is voting for him.

 
At 7:39 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Eulille Soinseau said...

The original "Tell Him" was done by The Exciters.

 
At 9:34 PM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

You are absolutely correct, the original was recorded by The Exciters. Since this was British Invasion night, the Billie Davis version was the version to be mimicked. I inadvertently indicated in the post that the original was by Billie Davis.

 
At 4:10 AM, March 23, 2007, Blogger Michael Vernon said...

Well, since the Good Nurse doesn't read blogs (not even mine), I feel safe in saying that teeny boppers (and I) enjoy looking at Sanjaya. He just has that innocent, happy-go-lucky, fun look about him. I can see his smile and just melt!

But...I agree with you on all points. He shouldn't have made it this far in a singing contest. The Good Nurse is in love with one of the "Chris" guys--I can't remember which--but the one with blue eyes and a scruffy chin. Oh, he sings well, too. :)

 
At 4:43 PM, March 24, 2007, Blogger Shenida Weave said...

I think they should have separated out the votes that came in for Crying Girl... she totally skewed the results!!! Little minxy biatch ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home