Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Musings

It annoys me that Drew Carey is taking over "The Price is Right." He is too much of a boob for that show.

As you know, Tammy Faye Messner died last week. I kept reading and hearing in all her commentary that she was "still expecting a miracle." I felt sorry for her having to go through that, because that kind of death is truly horrible. My father died of colon cancer. I'm not sure how I would feel if I were given the same sentence, but it just seems that an evangelist would be happy that he or she was going to meet the divinity he or she had worked his/her entire life for. Isn't the heavenly reward what motivates a Christian to good works?

I am always amazed by how much the public gets into the lives of Hollywood figures. They are no different than other people (and quite often, come from much more troubled lives). Shows like "Access Hollywood", "Extra" and "Entertainment Tonight" that glorify every move of a celebrity really turn me off. Maybe it's just because I am getting older, but I don't really give a rat's ass about the Madonna vs. Angelina adoption wars, or how poor Lindsay Lohan just can't catch a break, or about Paris Hilton's latest nail wrap. And who the hell decided that Paris Hilton was a celebrity, anyway? Because she's an heir to the hotel magnate's millions? Money doesn't buy intelligence, and she's living proof. Her great-grandfather would be spinning in his grave at what she has done to the Hilton name...if he weren't already spinning over what has been done to it commercially.

I never cease to be amazed at the audacity of people who don't want to work but want to collect a paycheck. They do crappy work, and yet are the first to complain when things aren't going well at the job or they accuse people of trying to make them look bad.

It seems to me that there are many, many more crappy workers today than 20 years ago. Twenty years ago, people would be fired for less than what the average worker gets away with today.

7 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, July 26, 2007, Blogger dantallion said...

Clearly, you're a great deal more patient than I've become. My blood-pressure skyrockets when I think about how much air-time, resources, money, and effort go into letting the entire western world know that Paris Hilton smoked a joint and didn't wear any underwear at a party last night. Could there be ANYTHING more vapid than THAT?

As for work ethic - as somene who has done a lot of hiring in the last few years, I have to agree with you, it's getting really bad out there. Believe it or not, I'm incredibly relaxed and flexible with the people under me - I find employees are generally more productive under those circumstances. But man, do some of them take advantage - they try to get away with doing less than the minimum required, but scream bloody murder when you reward someone else who's done outstanding work. All I end up hearing is "That's not fair - you've never done that for ME...". It's like dealing with extremely spoiled toddlers in adults bodies. And it's not limited to the young ones either. I'm in my thirties and I work my ass off. Some of the people I'm talking about are in their 40's, 50's, and in one case, 60's!

 
At 1:06 PM, July 26, 2007, Blogger dantallion said...

(Of course when I say you're more patient than I, what I mean is that you don't let it piss you off the way I (stupidly) seem to.)

 
At 8:59 PM, July 26, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

Dan - Amen. Amen. Amen.

 
At 9:39 PM, July 26, 2007, Blogger Jess said...

I want to watch Dan being flexible with people under him! ;)

 
At 11:32 PM, July 26, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

okay, fine if there are celebrity gossip shows and extra and et and all that to get 24 hour news coverage of lohan and hilton, etc. but what really irks me is when it shows up in the regular news! like on cnn or whatever! or when the news covers american idol as if it's....news!

 
At 1:30 PM, July 27, 2007, Blogger dantallion said...

Jess: After I reread my post, I was wondering if I was going to get away with that (very innocent) statement. Of course, I should have known better... lol!

 
At 9:53 PM, July 28, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

pinknest: EXACTLY. That irks me, too. But it also annoys me that the Hollywood shows run a million little try-to-titillate you snippets (that are absolute trash) during the newscasts they follow. So that way, they manage to get the trash in whether the regular news covers it or not...but yes, the regular news is picking it up more and more and selling it as news, which is infuriating!

Dan - lol, very innocent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home