Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lotsa stuff goin'

What a weekend. Friday night, we chaperoned at the LIGALY Gay Prom. What a great event. It was a nice way for these kids to feel completely comfortable and really enjoy their prom. I just wish they had chosen a different venue. The Stuart Thomas Manor has some of the poorest quality catered food among caterers I have been to on the Island, and I have been to a lot of them. This was my second visit to the STM and so I was not surprised when the food was served and it was mediocre. Think TV dinner but even lower quality.

Saturday, I awakened relatively early to get some gardening work done. I had purchased about eighteen hostas to plant from a mail order company. I had also purchased three lilies, six dahlias and fifteen gladioli from another company, and both had arrived within a day or each other. They needed to be planted this weekend. So I started working. I managed to get about 15 of them planted (I had to bring in about 100 lbs. of topsoil that I purchased in order to make the soil deep enough in the area to plant. So by the time I mixed the topsoil with some potting soil, worked it in, and planted, it was almost noon.

We had planned to go visit our tailor who was to be in White Plains, and then in the evening see Talkradio, a gritty play about a talk show host who has a meltdown as his show is just about to be syndicated for nationwide air. So we didn't have a lot of time to waste, and because we were concerned about the traffic problem from the Belmont Stakes, we figured we had better leave and return with relative haste. We didn't waste any time. The play was terrific, but the theatre (the Longacre) was horrible. Poor sound and even poorer seats. They were torture devices. I'm not that large and my knees were crushed against the seat in front of me. The sides of the seat were narrow, making it impossible to get comfortable in any position.

So after the play, we caught the train home, but a necessity stop by the store before we could go home meant that we didn't make it home until a little after midnight.

Then today, I got into the other boxes of plants to get put into the ground. I had already planned where they were to be put, and since there's limited space in our yard for plants requiring full sun, it was pretty much a given of where they HAD to go. But surprise, surprise, the company had screwed up and sent me a duplicate box of my order (without charging me). So now a dilemma: dispose of the second box (for shame!) or dig an entirely new section of yard to accommodate them? Well, there was a space along the fenceline in the front yard, but it would require digging it up and then tearing out the grass, which was a lot of work I hadn't counted on. I worked on it for hours, but I did get it finished.

But I have to go to bed early tonight, because tommorow, I'm working from 5:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. at a golf tournament. Yes, you read that right. I am going to be exhausted.

So what did you do this weekend?

2 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, June 11, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

busy busy! and amid all this talk of topsoil and and chaperoning, i'm intrigued by the fact that you all have a tailor?!

 
At 8:52 AM, June 17, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

Yes, we have a tailor! He is from Seoul and visits the U.S. about once every three months, where he does a two week tour of cities, including White Plains, Chicago, and Los Angeles; not sure where else he goes. His prices are ridiculously good for custom work, with shirts starting at $45 and suits starting at $495. And the work is very high quality. Of course, he has suits and shirts that go for much more than that, and they are commensurate with the quality and type of fabric. Three years ago, when we first went to him, I bought a cashmere dress overcoat for $800 that I couldn't have touched anywhere else for less than $2,000. He actually comes to the city occasionally when he has enough business there to merit it.

Jess' brother discovered him on a trip to Korea, where he saw his storefront and went in and bought a coat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home