Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Idol showdown

Well, this week was definitely more interesting this week than in prior weeks. And tomorrow is going to be interesting as to who's gonna go.

Blake's first performance, Roxanne, was very well-suited to his voice and I liked it. His second performance, Maroon 5's This Love was his best, though; he breezed through it effortlessly and, as opposed to most of his other performances, he seemed like he was actually having a good time. He almost always looks as though singing is all work and no play. I thought it was his best performance of the entire season, and at this point, it should be. His third performance was less impressive, a cover of Thicke's When I Get You Alone. Very good, but more like the first; not as good as his second number.

Jordin's first performance, Wishing on a Star, was not my favorite. The second performance, She Works Hard for the Money, was okay. I wasn't bowled over. Her last performance, I Who Have Nothing, while strong, was a number she did in a prior show. And while it's a great number, it's an old number, and she should have chosen something she hadn't done before. Save the re-runs for the final show.

Melinda's first number, I Believe in You and Me, was very good, but I was longing for something less sweet. She's done a lot of sweet. Her second performance, Nutbush City Limits, was electric and gritty, true to the original. Her third performance, I'm a Woman, didn't make me shiver, though. It was a solid performance, but she has so much more ability than that.

In the end, I'd say that based on only tonight's performances, Blake should be in the final two; but if you take into account the entire repertoire of Blake and Jordin, from the beginning of the season until now, Jordin should be in the final two.

Regardless of either, Melinda has far more talent than either of them. It's her show. She damn well better win it.

3 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, May 15, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

i missed it!

 
At 2:39 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

Melinda and Blake all the way! Jorfin is 17 and has time to grow.

 
At 7:59 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

pinknest: you didn't miss that much. I was underwhelmed.

Cincy: I am thinking Jordin will get picked up by some label, no matter what, so I will not be at all disappointed if Blake makes it to the Melindathon. Good for him if he can make it to number two. But I question his fan base vs. Jordin's...I think hers might be stronger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home