Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Idol Gives Back

Seeing Simon and Ryan trekking through the horrors of Africa and seeing Simon's reaction to it, you learned that Simon does indeed have a heart. Even if you thought he was a cruel wretch (which he's not, he's just realistic), you couldn't think that after seeing him tonight.

Somehow, I am thinking that they won't be dumping anyone this week. This show is about generosity. That would be a cruel giveback.

That said, this was all set to be a really depressing show in terms of message and music. The singers were supposed to choose a song that fit the theme of tonight's show. Most chose melancholic, introspective songs.

Chris' rendition of Change the World was quite mediocre. Pitchy, out of his range, and out of his league, with an unnecessary flourish at the end, I thought it was horrible. I was so surprised at the judges' very positive reaction. It was a trainwreck. I am glad Eric Clapton wasn't the mentor tonight. He would have cried.

Melinda was positively fabulous tonight with a riveting performance of There Will Come a Day that should have earned her the title of American Idol tonight. It was just amazing. She is truly a magical performer. The judges loved it, as well they should. Now the dress wasn't that great, but the hair and the jewelry were beautiful. This girl is headed for stardom.

Blake's ultra-safe performance of Imagine didn't do it for me. I didn't think it was that great. It seemed an honest performance, though, and the judges agreed.

I also wasn't crazy about LaKisha's version of Fantasia Barrino's I Believe. The song sent chills down my spine when Fantasia sang it three years ago for the first time. But this didn't chill me or thrill me. It didn't feel genuine. It's too bad, too, because LaKisha was one of those who, in the beginning, had me convinced that she could win it. I don't think she can win it now, and I am beginning to wonder if she will make the top three. She doesn't have the depth of expression and pure vocal quality that Melinda has, and she doesn't have the beauty that Jordin has (even though Jordin is no match vocally), and she doesn't have the creepy factor of Phil, who, every week, surprises me with his vocals (even though I can't stand to look at him).

Speaking of Phil, The Change, a cover of Garth Brooks' tribute to the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing, shocked me with a slick but powerful all-out performance. It sounded nothing like Garth, which was a good thing...because he needed to sing the song his way and not Garth's. I didn't watch the tube while he sang, I just listened...and I couldn't deny that it was really quite good.

Jordin's performance of You'll Never Walk Alone was moving and powerful and delivered a punch. I've always liked this song, but this was glorious. I thought it was her best performance ever, easily. Simon said he thought she could have a hit record with it, now that's a vote of confidence.

So, who will be among the lowest vote-getters? Chris, Blake, and LaKisha are my picks.

UPDATE: Can I call them, or can I call them?! Nobody had to leave tonight. What a bunch of hype..."the most shocking result ever." Uh, over here? I wasn't shocked. I had it figured out before the show started last night. You don't do a show on compassion and then kick people off. No ma'am. No sirree.

3 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

As wonderful as I think Blake is, he was not very memorable last night.

Lakisha should not have even attempted a fantasia song on Idol

Chris was boy-bandish and horrid

Phil is creepy but did a good job.

Jordin truly amazed me and I actually started to tear up by the end of it.

If Melinda does not win there is no justice.

My bottom 2- Lakisha, and sadly, Blake

 
At 8:29 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Michelle Ann said...

All I can say is that Phil has got to go....Bald worked for Chris Daughtry, it does not for Phil.

 
At 12:44 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

Neither does that queer hat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home