Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Idol

Tony Bennett gave tonight's master class, and so the Idols were forced to do old numbers. I was prepared for a yawner night (except for LaKisha and Melinda, of course).

Winning vocals:
Melinda Doolittle's I've Got Rhythm. Fabulous, and she looked positively stunning in that skin-tight dress and 4-inch stillettos. The flat-ironed hair was a great look for her! She kicked ass.

Jordin's On A Clear Day. Well-suited to her voice and range. Not a big reach vocally, but she covered it very well. She put a nice, jazzy edge to it that really worked.

Gina Glocksen's Smile. She did a lovely cover and looked great tonight.

LaKisha's Stormy Weather wasn't as good as Melinda's number vocally, but was very jazzy and strong nonetheless.

Now let's sit back and watch while Sanjaya survives another round.

UPDATE: The little weasel managed to stay in for another round and Hayley survived, but Gina didn't? Oh, no, no, no. This is utterly wrong. That the weasel gets to stay while real talent is kicked off is beyond maddening. This is the end of the show for me.

I must say that Gina's exit was completely classy, and the song Smile was such an apropos choice for what turned out to be her last week:
Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by...
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you.

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile...


It was a tearjerker moment. Good luck, Gina. You didn't deserve what was done to you tonight, but you will be fine...you have a talent that will take you places.

8 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

i turned it on just as sanjaya finished singing.

i love the song "stormy weather."

 
At 3:19 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

I thought Blake did a great job on Mack the Knife and I hate that song.
Phil Stacey creeped me out yet again
Melindam Gina and Jordan...FABYOOLOUS! And Gina was gorgeous last night as was Melinda.

Lakisha was good but was just okay to me. So was Chris.

If there is any kind of Higher Power, Sanjaya and the forgettable Haley will be in the bottom 3.

So nice to have a place to discuss this!

 
At 9:42 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

Anita: me, too!

Cincy: Well, Hayley made it to the bottom three, but not the weasel. And Phil, your fave, was in there...

As for a place to discuss this...we'll see...I think I may be done with Idol now.

 
At 1:12 PM, April 05, 2007, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

I have told the one friend here that watches it that if Blake or Melinda get cut before Sanjaya, he is never to mention AI in my presence again.

 
At 9:58 PM, April 05, 2007, Blogger Michelle Ann said...

My confusion is how Haley is still here.... Oh wait, that's right, she's decided to use the tasty tart angle. If her outfits get any tighter or shorter, she might as well not sing and just parade around the stage in her birthday suit!

 
At 9:29 AM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

I am still so angry that Gina is gone...I am also considering not watching anymore...

 
At 8:22 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Shenida Weave said...

Oh, come on y'all... you ain't foolin' nobody with your "done with Idol" mess...

Just like me, you'll curse at the show and say, "I'm done"... and yet, also like me, you'll keep on watching it because it is that addictive... you just HAVE to know who finally wins the thing.

But I do agree about Gina... I LOVED her... she did two A+ performances this week and last... very sad :(

 
At 4:38 PM, April 07, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

michelle ann - welcome!! Yes, Haley is going the Katharine McPhee route, just not doing it as well. I still can't believe she made it to the top two last year.

Shenida - uh, yeah (looks away sheepishly). Well, it sounds good, damn it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home