Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mac the Knife

Mac Mighty Santoku, that is. If you cook and you don't have one of these, you're missing the best prep experience ever.

I bought mine about three weeks ago on Amazon, after having read about their prep prowess in a favorite publication, Cook's Illustrated, who rated this knife ($90) and the Forschner Victorinox chef's knife very highly. (If you think that the Victorinox name sounds familiar, that's because they make the very famous Swiss Army Knives, the pocket knives known for their unrivaled sharpness and gadgetry. And the nice thing about Victorinox knives is their price...cheap! The chef's knife is about $35 with shipping.)

But back to the Mac. It's so sharp it cuts like a great pair of scissors through thin paper. I was so surprised when I went to bias-cut a carrot (which is typically a chore with any of my other knives) and it just sailed through the task. Onions, tomatoes, celery...throw a fruit or vegetable at this knife and it breezes through it like nothing. Just amazing. You can slice cucumbers so thinly you can see through them. Last week, I sliced a Valencia orange to eat it. The knife was so sharp it sheared right through the seed, without even moving it from the orange flesh. Phenomenal.

If you cook, you will love it. But beware...you could slice off a hand if you're not careful.

5 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger dantallion said...

Thanks for this - I've recently taken up cooking, and have been getting frustrated with my old knives (which seem more decorative than anything else). I'll definitely give this one a try.

 
At 8:28 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Michelle Ann said...

Cookware, knives and gadgets are like heroin to me! I try to limit my visits to the kitchen supply store...

 
At 11:26 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

excellent! i love knives that are heavy and large and immaculately sharp. they should be able to slice through a piece of paper without any effort! i'll have to check this out. i love cook's illustrated, too! do you subscribe?

 
At 10:44 AM, April 27, 2007, Blogger MzOuiser said...

Every year I promise myself that I'll invest in quality cookery, and every year I find an excuse not to do it. This time I'm telling myself I'll invest eight right before or right after the wedding.

'Cause every newlywed needs a quality set of knives!

 
At 10:48 PM, April 28, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

Dan - you won't regret it...or believe it.

michelle ann - get your fix! order this knife!

anita - yes, I subscribe...and I have the book "the best recipe" which has a whole host of truly the best recipes I've ever used. My quiche recipe came from there.

Deirdre - why not put the knife on your Amazon wish list? Then point your wedding guests to Amazon as well as your other registries...that way, you don't have to invest! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home