Saturday, August 04, 2007

Whew

So we hosted a barbecue for Jess' office today. It was quite the production, but it was way, way too much food! There were so many leftovers that we'll be eating them for days. I had a lot of leftover bread dough from earlier in the week when I made cinnamon rolls for a woman at work who was leaving, and I had also prepared extra dough for guests we were supposed to have on Friday night. But the Friday night guests bailed, so I had the dough and needed to make it into something. So I made dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls with the idea that I would probably just freeze them but not use them for today's lunch. But at the last minute, I decided I would put the dinner rolls out to see if anyone would want them. They ate about half of the tray, which was fine; I could freeze the other half. But they really had interest in the cinnamon rolls, the smell of which had entranced them as I took them from the oven. I feared they would overshadow the cobbler and cookies I had made, and indeed they did. I have 2/3 of the cobbler left and have no idea what I am going to do with it. Right now, I feel so bloated I don't care about any of it.


Here's what it looked like:

The dinner rolls: steamy, doughy, chewy, and deliciously yeasty...fabulous with a big slab of butter.

The smoky barbecued brisket.


The savory baked beans. I make them with a bit of the brisket stirred in, and some other spices.


And of course, cole slaw.


Yummy home-made potato salad brought by someone else (and I don't usually like potato salad).


Delicious roasted vegetables, also brought by someone else.


Sangria (foreground) and margaritas on tap.


The tart and delicious cherry cobbler.


The pièce de résistance...sticky, gooey, soft and spicy, warm and yeasty, totally over-the-top cinnamon rolls.


And finally...a margarita toast to you!

5 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, August 05, 2007, Blogger Jess said...

Everything was fabulous, Bokey! Of course, it always is when you're running the show!

 
At 10:55 AM, August 07, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

wow, it all looks wonderful!! those cinnamon rolls look RIDICULOUS!!! i want many! oh god i love gooey cinnamon rolls but hardly make them because it's so much work! well, i guess i love all yeasty baked goodness because i would've devoured those dinner rolls too. and everything else. ooh i'm hungry. spectacular job! *applause*

 
At 8:00 PM, August 07, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

they are a lot of work, but I always think they are worth it! Making the dough is a snap, it's the rolling it out and preparing the cinnamon rolls that is the pain.

i was very happy with the dinner rolls...they were just too, too delicious with their hot yeastiness and cold salty butter pats on them. have i told you what a butter fiend i am? ever since i was a kid. it grosses jess out, but I can still eat butter with nothing else...but i love it on a hot roll. not melted, though; it needs to be at least partially solid to be perfect. i know, weird, right? oh, well, a boy must have his hang-ups...

 
At 12:18 PM, August 12, 2007, Blogger Brooklyn Bitch said...

It was great meeting you last night. I've been poking around your blog here this morning and spotted that coleslaw, and damn does it look good. I am obsessed with good coleslaw and that, looks frikkin' delicious!

 
At 4:28 PM, August 21, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

OMG...I'm so hungry now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home