Sunday, February 24, 2008

A visit from the city

Blogging is such a great way to meet people. You get to know a person through their posts and comments and sometimes e-mails, and you learn things about them that they might not share if you were just to meet them on the street. We have met a number of friends through blogging who have become very good friends and whom we visit regularly or who visit us regularly. I can't begin to link and name them all here, for fear I'd leave someone out. Suffice it to say that we have met more than twenty people in our blogging circles, some as far away as Wyoming, and some as close as the city.

I have to give credit where credit is due: Jess is usually the one to orchestrate the meet-ups with other bloggers, he being the extrovert, me being the introvert. We'd have a lot fewer friends if it weren't for his work in developing friendships.

I am hoping that Patrick will be one of those people who becomes a close friend. We met him through the charming and deeply introspective Nicky, with whom we have struck up a long- distance friendship. Nicky hasn't visited us yet, but we're hoping that he will be able to visit someday. If you haven't read his blog, you really should. To endure the things he's been through and still be the wonderful, thoughtful soul that he is says a lot.

At any rate, Patrick came to visit us for the first time this past Monday afternoon, and it was a wonderful time. I won't go into too much detail about the visit, because I would rather you read his post describing it. It's so detailed that it's a nearly play-by-play run of the entire visit!

I will say that we had a wonderful time, and found Patrick to be the same delightful person that he is in his posts and comments: just a joy to visit with, and truly gracious.

One thing that I found particularly interesting about Patrick is that he comes from a Quaker background. It's uncommon to find Quakers; they tend to come from specific areas of the country. I know this because Wichita has a Quaker University, Friends University, and I received my associate's degree there (even though I am not Quaker) so I know about the Quaker faith (as well as the oatmeal). Patrick had actually visited Friends University years ago, so we had a fun point of common interest besides the more obvious commonalities.

At any rate, the company and conversation was wonderful, and we hope to repeat the experience again soon! And speaking of blogger visits, at some point, I have to get Anita and Sarah out here to spend a day in the kitchen!

9 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, February 24, 2008, Blogger dantallion said...

From everything that I've been able to pick up, both on yours and Jess's blogs, as well as accounts from various others, you and Jess seem to naturally draw people to you. Pretty amazing, really. And made even more wonderful by the unlikely idea that these are friendships you're making virtually, here in Blogdom.

 
At 9:52 PM, February 24, 2008, Blogger Marc said...

Dantallion, so when are you coming to visit? We're waiting...

 
At 8:31 AM, February 25, 2008, Blogger dantallion said...

Actually, I'm planning a motorcycle trip into NY this summer. I'd be great to meet y'all!

 
At 1:31 PM, February 25, 2008, Blogger Brooklyn Bitch said...

Yay! Group cooking would be fun!

 
At 9:26 PM, February 25, 2008, Blogger Marc said...

Dan, can we hold you to that? Okay, Anita, you see that Sarah is up for a trip out...how about it? :-)

 
At 2:54 AM, February 26, 2008, Blogger Cooper said...

Thanks, Marc. That was very nice. I knew you and Jess would adore Patrick as much as I do. I hope to get out there to visit you guys one day, and I'll bring flowers, too (as well as a couple of messy, but beautiful kids). :)

 
At 4:00 PM, February 26, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

You have so many fans! (Including me)

 
At 6:51 PM, February 26, 2008, Blogger dantallion said...

Well, so far it seem like everything is lining up - Likely end of June or beginning of July

 
At 10:13 PM, February 26, 2008, Blogger Patrick said...

Thank you, my friend... it was a great time. So sorry my teasing ended up giving Jess fodder in your ongoing 'neatness' battle! I had no idea I was walking right in the middle of marital conflict. Suffice it to say this guest had NO problems with the housekeeping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home