Sunday, July 06, 2008

He's alive!

Today, I was busy planting some of the bargains I bought at the local garden center's 4th of July sale. Everything in the place was 50% off: plants, accessories, garden equipment, everything. I had to restrain myself, and still I spent too much.

At any rate, I was planting the beautiful fuschia-colored astilbe plants I had bought when I sensed that there was something creeping across the yard, very, very slowly. As I turned to look, he stopped for a second, looking me straight in the eye. And it was unmistakably Junior, our younger cat, whom we haven't seen in more than a month, about six feet from me. He has one blue eye and one green eye, so he's pretty unmistakable. I called him, but he turned and quickly trotted off (not surprisingly...he's a feral cat who is very skittish). He looked as though he hadn't been eating well, he was pretty thin. Hopefully he will come back around, but he might not...after all, his mom is under the house decomposing, which is probably why he ran away in the first place.

I put out some chow for him just in case he should decide to come back through. I hope so. But I do feel better knowing that he's still alive.

3 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, July 07, 2008, Blogger Jess said...

I'm so happy he's alive. I guess all of the stink from under there was just Shirley. It makes me sad, too. This means he wasn't crying to you because he was sick; he was crying because of what happened to his mom and his inabiity to understand it and/or his anguish over it. That really hurts. Junior never really did grow up or move out on his own (so unlike a cat!), and I feel so sad for him! Poor boy. I hope our food brings him back around.

 
At 12:38 PM, July 07, 2008, Blogger Matt said...

That's great you saw Junior. :)

I hope he'll eat some of the food you left out for him. He must be so hungry especially since his mom died and he probably doesn't know how to hunt very well yet.

 
At 8:59 AM, July 11, 2008, Blogger Greg said...

Awww, poor little dude. It's a big world out there. He sounds cute with the different eyes and all.

Now, more about the new astilbes, please...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home