Tuesday, July 11, 2006

More Como

Wow, seven comments yesterday. I think that is a record for me. At any rate…

Okay, so we got on the ferry and crossed the lake to Tremezzo…it's a very short (4-minute) ride. It took longer to get out of and into the docks than it took to cross the lake.


On the shore, you see the Hotel Tremezzo (yellow building). It’s very pretty and the views have to be stunning.


Here's another shot of the hotel, a little closer.

Getting off the boat, we walked across the street to the Villa Carlotta. I can't describe it adequately. It was once a mansion. It's now an arboretum with flowering trees and shrubs that have been around for hundreds of years. I was blown away by the size of the azalea and rhododendron bushes. In some cases, they were trees!


Here’s the entrance:

There were literally hillsides of flowers in bloom of every type. We purposely planned our trip with bloom season in mind, but we were still amazed by the spectacular show that we received everywhere we went.


Here’s a huge Lebanon cedar with some azaleas planted near it. The bark was so interesting and pretty. Note the 80-ft tall tree covered in wisteria in the background.


Another view of the 80-ft tree with the wisteria.


As I said, flowers were cascading down the mountainside. This was about 80 acres all up the mountainside, so it was not easy climbing to some of it.


More flowers!


Part of the arboretum included a Japanese garden. This was the staircase up to the garden. The staircase was a lot prettier than the garden at the top, so that’s what I shot.


Violets surround a Lebanon cedar.


Exbury (deciduous) azaleas on a path.

Okay, that’s it for today. More tomorrow…

5 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Crash said...

A Japanese garden in Italy. 'K.

Still, it looks pretty amazing.

 
At 2:12 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Tuna Girl said...

I love the flowers that look like they are growing right in the rocks.

I'm glad Crash mentioned Italy because I keep thinking, wait, what country were they in again? ;-)

Once upon a time we were supposed to be stationed in Aviano. Did I mention that I'm jealous.

 
At 6:45 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger CoffeeDog said...

Wow I love the gardens! Thw wisteria on the tree, no thanks for that - I m still fighting wisteria in my yard.

The Exbury azalea - wonder if that would grow in GA. I love yellow flowers. Regarding huge azaleas, there are some huge ones here in ATL, around Emory area...probably not as huge as those, but large nonetheless!

 
At 7:42 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Marc said...

Coffee: the Exburys would indeed grow in Ga. They are deciduous, meaning they lose their leaves in the fall. They look more like rhododendrons than azaleas, but that's not surprising since azaleas are members of the rhododendron family. I found them here at several nurseries this year, even though I didn't think I'd ever seen them before. The nursery staff assured me they carry them every year. They are the prettiest shade of yellow...the color in the picture is pretty true-to-life. I can guarantee you'd be one of very few who had them!

 
At 7:35 PM, July 13, 2006, Blogger CoffeeDog said...

I am glad you explained "decidious" I was too lazy to look that up! I might have hunt down an Exbury for my yard :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home