Sunday, August 05, 2007

Cut-up

As I blogged about a couple of months ago, I got a new santoku knife, and I love it. I use it a lot. And in the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that it has lot some of its original sharpness.

I have a lot of other knives, too, and many aren't as sharp as they used to be. Some were not that sharp to begin with.

I have tried to keep them pretty sharp with the steel rod I have, but it just doesn't do the job I'd like. I had been considering buying some whetstones to aid in the edge-finishing task, but it's such work that I decided to start checking out electric sharpeners.

I did quite a bit of research and decided on the Chef's Choice 130 sharpener. I had a set of Henckel's knives that we bought a number of years ago. They weren't the most expensive Henckel's knives, but they weren't the cheapest, either. They were better than most of the other knives I had, but compared to the santoku I bought recently, they were pretty useless. I followed the instructions for the sharpener to put an entirely new edge on them. I was doubtful of their ability to be cleaned up, but I was wrong. They are sharper now than when new.

I have a "Le Gourmet Chef" Chef's knife that I really like. It was Jess' mom's. It was always one of my favorites, but when I got the santoku, I discovered it wasn't as great as I thought it was - but it was infinitely better than any other knife I had at the time. Then I ran it through the sharpener, and I was so happy with it again. Even though it's not the same as the santoku, there are tasks for which it is well-suited, and so I 'll be using it a lot more.

I have a set of oak-handled knives my dad bought for me when I graduated from college. They've never been my favorites - they have spent most of their lives in drawers, rarely being used. I sharpened them on the sharpener. I can now cut anything from wrapping paper to chicken with very little effort.

I have a pair of Fiskars scissors that I have been unhappy with for quite a long time. They lost their edge and I had tried to bring it back with the rod, but with little success. I ran them through the sharpener and they are back to their old selves...cutting paper just by gliding the scissors through the paper in a single motion rather than having to work the handles.

If you cook a lot, good, sharp knives can save you a lot of time. And this sharpener will really do a great job of keeping your knives in tip-top shape.

I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond with one of the 20% off coupons they routinely send in the mail. After the discount and tax, it was about $119. Best money I have spent in a loooong time.

3 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, August 07, 2007, Blogger dantallion said...

I'm not nearly as sharp as I used to be...hmmm...I wonder...?

Bed, Bath and Beyond, you say?

 
At 10:50 AM, August 07, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

hmm, interesting! i've always wondered about electric sharpeners. i had heard that you should just take your knives to get sharpened. there are a few places in the city that i've heard are pretty good (random dudes who sharpen knives, knot like a big store or anything). anyway, this electric knife sharpener intrigues me. and god, i'm ALWAYS at bed bath and beyond with my silly coupons. it's so ridiculous.

 
At 7:51 PM, August 07, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

dan: i don't think a knife sharpener will do what you're looking for, honey. ;)

pinknest: I know the dudes of which you speak. They do a fab job...but you have to be without your knives for awhile, and in time you spend as much on them as you would on the sharpener, which lets you sharpen when you want, and doesn't force you to live without your knives even for an hour. :) And I know all about your BBB addiction since I have it, too. Even the door greeter there knows me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home