Saturday, October 20, 2007

New! Planters® Dry Roasted Cashews


A few weeks ago I blogged about house brands vs. national brands. One of the things I discussed in that post is the fact that the quality of some national brands seems to be slipping. In the cashew department, I particularly noted that Planters cashews were particularly offensive for their extreme greasiness. This is what happens when big megabrands like Kraft buy up smaller brands with food expertise like Planters, and when tobacco companies buy up brands they have no business in...like Kraft. Kraft hasn't been the same since it was purchased. At any rate, I was a little surprised when I saw new dry-roasted Planters cashews on the shelf at the store. I was also a little surprised that I found myself picking them up and putting them in my basket. I don't know what I was thinking.

Well, let me tell you what was no surprise: they sucked. Kraft never knew how to make a good nut when they bought Planters, and they still don't. I was a little shocked to find that there was also sugar, corn syrup solids, MSG, paprika, dried yeast, and a lot of other crap on the cashews. Gee Kraft, don't you think that the nuts are good enough without all that junk on them? Are you using inferior nuts that you have to dress up? The Kirkland brand that I love, as well as a number of other brands, only have cashews, salt, and perhaps a trace amount of oil. That's it, and let me tell you, Kraft, that's all a nut needs to taste great.

Shout out to Mr. Peanut: your nuts are nasty.

3 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, April 06, 2009, Blogger sim said...

i tried dry roasted cashews I bought at Trader Joe's. They are the BEST!! They tasted so much like the fresh cashew nuts i used to roast growing up in Jamaica. I had no idea cashews were roasted with oil here. I thought there was one process, but apparently not. Why add oil? I think they do it to get a continuous golden look but it destroys the taste. I love dry roasted cashews.

 
At 2:20 PM, April 18, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Did Kraft buy Planters????

I been noticing that Kraft been overtaking smaller companies.. I started looking up right after I noticed a large Kraft logo on Calumet baking Power (the Red Can with the Indian on it)

I have a page I posted with Small portion of kraft

http://lazyignorantamericans.blogspot.com/2009/03/connectiong-dots-part-1.html

Just like Monosanto --> aspartame and Agent Orange..

grrrrrrrrrr Urks me to see that they said agent orange was safe from Monsanto's data and that thousands of Vietnam vets with all kinds of cancer was denied compensation due to the lying data

A++ with Music

 
At 10:21 PM, May 26, 2010, Blogger Unknown said...

I have been so happy for the past year in that I have been able to buy Planters Dry Roasted Cashews like I used to eat as a young girl. Now, I can't find them anywhere. Figures. Just when a product is doing well Planters decides to discontinue it. What is up with that? Are they on purpose trying to hurt their sales? They must need new management.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home