Sunday, September 30, 2007

Pie

As this beautiful fall weekend draws toward a close, I am considering pie. It's Brooklyn Nester's fault; she's been on a pie kick lately, and she is just baking pies right and left. I have news for you, BB: overindulging in pie can be dangerous! She quickly discovered how to make a good crust, which is 3/4 of the battle of pie. It's not easy to learn that perfect balance where you have just enough water in the crust to make the dough cling together when you're just doing it by the book! You go, girl!

At any rate, apple pie is perfect for fall and I have an apple pie recipe that I really love. I love it because it's easy to make, and delicious to eat. I usually use Granny Smith apples, but you can also use Cameos or Cortlands or mix in some Fujis with your Granny Smiths.

Apple Crumb Pie

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

Filling:
4 Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
slight pinch ground cloves

Topping:
3/4 c flour
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/3 c (5 1/3 Tbsps) cold butter

In large bowl, combine apples, with sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Place in pie shell.

For topping, in a bowl combine the flour, sugar and butter with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse corn meal. Sprinkle crumb topping over filling.

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Place on foil on cookie sheet and put sheet on rack below pie to catch drips.

Easy. Fabulous. Fall.

4 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, October 01, 2007, Blogger Jess said...

Mmmm, pie. *drool*

 
At 8:53 PM, October 01, 2007, Blogger pinknest said...

ooh how i love the fall, because i so love apple pies of all sorts. i made one myself! this sounds simply delicious.

 
At 8:03 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger Brooklyn Bitch said...

I know how I just posted that I need a break from pie...but, your post reminded me how good apple pie is, in general, and, I wanted you to know that the next pie I make (which will be in the near future), will be this one.
:) Thanks.

 
At 9:38 AM, October 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lord...
you want my thighs to go condo before I get there don't you? Beastly thing you :)
Hugs,
kb
now where are those apples I bought?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home