Wednesday, January 02, 2008

By request

Okay, so Dantallion requested the recipe for my spicy Tex-Mex chicken casserole. I don't always give out recipes; some I do, some I don't. I am beginning to compile a cookbook, so in order for you to buy it, you'll want to know that there are recipes in there that you don't have already. Who wants to pay for recipes they have?

At any rate, this recipe will be in the book, because it is one of Jess' and my favorites. So it's my freebie to you. :-)

King Ranch Chicken Casserole
1 whole chicken, baked or boiled to internal breast temp of 160F; or 4 chicken breasts prepared the same way
1 dozen corn tortillas (I omit these to make low carb)
1 can (10.75 ozs.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can (10.75 ozs.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cans (4.5 ozs ea) chopped green chiles
1 cup milk or half & half
1 tablespoon finely grated white onion
4 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, leaves only
1 lb. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided in thirds

A shortcut for baking or boiling the chicken is to use a whole rotisserie chicken and remove the skin. Because of the seasoning and marinades used, you will get a slightly sweeter result, but still delicious. This is best if you assemble it the night before and refrigerate it overnight, baking it the next night, but it can be assembled and baked immediately and it will still be good.

Cut chicken into medium-sized pieces. Cut tortillas into 2-inch-wide strips and set aside. Mix remaining ingredients, except shredded cheese, in a bowl.

Butter a large casserole dish (9x13x2). Place a layer of tortillas, a layer of chicken, one-third of the grated cheese, and half the sauce. Repeat layers again, and sprinkle remaining one-third of cheese over top layer of sauce. Refrigerate 24 hours for best results, or you may bake immediately. Bake at 300F for 1.5 hrs.

If you're not eating low-carb, this is great with a corn, cilantro, tomato and black bean vinaigrette salad served on the side.

Enjoy!

10 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

This is my mom's recipe except she uses Rotel tomatoes w/chiles instead of the two cans of chiles. This stuff goes like mad when you take it to a potluck!

 
At 11:34 AM, January 03, 2008, Blogger dantallion said...

Thank you so much for this, Marc. I really can't wait to try it.

I think that you putting a proper recipe book together is a fantastic idea. Everytime you post pics of or simply describe what you prepare, it always looks/sounds so amazing. I'd certainly buy it.

I took up cooking in the last while because I wanted to start eating better AND healthier food. I'm still a total novice, but improving. I used to think prepare meals at the end of the day was a pain. Now I'm really enjoying it, as well as the results, of course. Well, most of the time, anyway. lol

 
At 1:04 PM, January 04, 2008, Blogger dantallion said...

Do you know if this type of casserole freezes well?

 
At 2:34 PM, January 04, 2008, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

It's been my experience that it freezes really well.

 
At 8:16 PM, January 04, 2008, Blogger Marc said...

Dan, Cincy's right...it freezes wonderfully.

 
At 8:18 PM, January 04, 2008, Blogger Marc said...

Cincy, I have used Ro-tel as well! I like the flavor of the chilies, and sometimes I even add a third can, but I'll pull a can of Ro-tel off the shelf in a New York minute if I don't have the chilies on hand! : )

 
At 10:30 AM, January 05, 2008, Blogger Cooper said...

I'm buying the ingredients to make this today, only I'll use mild chilies so my boys can eat it. It sounds amazing!

 
At 6:15 PM, January 05, 2008, Blogger pinknest said...

ahhh....king ranch chicken casserole...ate this stuff all the time!!

 
At 7:10 PM, January 05, 2008, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

OKay. I am now hungry for this. I will be buying the stuff to make it tomorrow.

 
At 11:50 PM, January 05, 2008, Blogger Jess said...

Boke, what you didn't tell them is the name for it when we make it low-carb. Since the tortillas are left out, making it not-quite-King Ranch Chicken Casserole, I dubbed it Prince Ranch Chicken Casserole. (Yeah, I know. I'm so witty!) ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home