Sunday, November 30, 2008

A week of delicious food

Two weeks ago we were in Penn Station and killing some time in a magazine and convenience store. We were looking through a Cooking Light magazine and saw a few interesting recipes so we decided to buy it. My previous experience with it was only okay, and I wasn't that sure that it would be worth the trouble.

However, this past week, we made three recipes from the magazine or its online version. The first was a Potato, Corn and Leek Chowder that turned out spectacularly, thanks in part to 1) my having homemade chicken broth on hand to put into it and 2) I read comments online that it wasn't thick enough and so I added 2 tablespoons more flour than it called for. I don't make many soups, and this one was time-consuming, but I would have to say it was the best soup I ever made.

The second recipe was for Turkey Noodle Soup. It was suggested as a way to use leftover turkey from the Thanksgiving meal and, fresh off the success with the chowder, we thought it might be good to try. It was wonderful. I will definitely be making it again as chicken noodle soup. It was relatively easy prep, it was very filling and once again, having my own homemade chicken stock on hand in the freezer was what put it over the top.

Finally, tonight we made Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayo. The interest in this dish was the breading of the cutlets: it used egg substitute instead of eggs, and it used Baked Tostitos that had been ground to powder in the food processor for the flour. The cutlets were marinated for two hours in the egg, along with salt, some Franks Red Hot sauce (I prefer it over Tabasco) and oregano. They might have been even better if marinated longer, but they were pretty terrific as they were. Served on a roll with lettuce and onion and the cilantro-lime mayo, they were quite delicious, and I would definitely make them again, even for company.

All in all, a great week for food, especially with the Thanksgiving meal we had, with some spectacular sweet potatoes that even I liked.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, November 30, 2008, Blogger Jess said...

I agree. Everything was wonderful! I'm glad we got the magazine and have been trying recipes. BTW, how about some credit? I have been an able sous chef, have I not?

 
At 7:51 PM, December 09, 2008, Blogger dantallion said...

Good Lord, but my mouth ALWAYS ends up watering whenever I stop in here. You really do now how your way around the kitchen.

 
At 7:07 PM, December 16, 2008, Blogger Michelle Ann said...

I adore chowder...seems like all chowders, but corn is number one!!!

Where are the pics of all this yummy food??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home